maandag 19 oktober 2009

Tactical choices for a FAST ESP / Sharepoint investment

A smart analysis of possibilities and choices you have when faced with an upgrade or change in requirements regarding your "old" Fast ESP (OEM) environment. The relationship with Sharepoint is an interesting one.

From: http://arnoldit.com/wordpress/2009/10/19/reflections-on-sharepoint-and-search/

What can customers in a SharePoint environment do with a Fast ESP legacy system? I know what I would do. I would ask that the Microsoft SharePoint engineers find a certified third party who can hook the Fast ESP system into the SharePoint 10 system once these products become available in November 2009. If these experts cannot do the job within the time and budget limits of the organization, I would get a newer system. I know I would look at high profile modern systems such as Exalead’s, and I would check out relative newcomers like Gaviri. In fact, I would do some proofs of concept and pick the best system for my needs. I know I would not consider the older systems that are on the market; for example, the BASIS technology or the Bayesian systems. I want 64 bit, smart systems, not the pains of the past.

I find it very interesting how Stephen Arnold favours the technology of Exalead over the "old" players on the market like Recommind and Autonomy that have based their "magic" on Bayesion probabilistic pattern-recognition.

Geen opmerkingen: